Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Can I donate blood if I have had Hepatitis A?

Hepatitis A infection is most often identified with Jaundice (typically yellow colored eyes) symptoms. I had this in mid 1990s. Couldn't trace the reasons for my infection. It got cured in 2-3 months time and I'm healthy as ever after that. Good thing about this disease is that it leaves anti-bodies in the blood stream which will protect you from further infections (that is what the literature says).

Few years after I was cured of Hepatitis A, I used to go to medical camps for blood donation. The first thing I mention is that I had "Hepatitis A" in mid 1990s. Doctors in medical camps were not sure whether they should collect blood from me or not. I was not aware about the recommendations by the medical councils. Fortunately, because of insufficient information and doubts created by my questioning, I was told that they'd not want me to donate blood. Good that I did not donate blood !

This morning, I was thinking of going for a blood donation for my colleague. I searched the web once again and came across this CDC link http://www.cdc.gov/hepatitis/a/aFAQ.htm. It says "If you had Hepatitis A when you were 11 years of age or older, you cannot donate blood. If you had Hepatitis A before age 11, you may be able donate blood. Check with your blood donation center."

Now, I have no more doubts. It is very clear that I should not donate blood. A request to everyone who had jaundice or Hepatitis -A, please refrain from donating blood because the recipient might not be immune to Hepatitis-A virus.

No comments:

Post a Comment